Wednesday, 1. May 2013
Hello and welcome to Walk Through Wednesday. Today I am sharing a few of the bedrooms from a model home in the 2012 Salt Lake City Parade of Homes. This is the Alexandra model by Richmond America Homes.
I thought these bedrooms were a really excellent example of flow. The same colors are in each room which helps unify them but there is a different paint treatment in each room. The ratios of the colors are also different in each room. Each room has a personality of its own but still fits into the overall scheme.
Hope you found something to inspire you. Have a wonderful day!
Friday, 19. April 2013
Well, we’ve made it to the weekend that means it’s time for Feature Friday. Today I am sharing a little light makeover I did in my boys’ bedroom. The light in this room was probably the only light in the house that had been updated when we bought our home, that is why I decided not to replace it. I did however want to freshen the light up for the big makeover. I showed you in this post and this post how I have been painting big stripes in their room. One of the stripes is a chalkboard stripe and one is magnetic. The rest of the stripes are various colors and widths. One of the colors I used is stainless steel. I had half a can leftover so I thought I would just throw on a quick coat of the stainless steel paint and see how that looked.
I like the results. I think she’s a keeper. The stainless steel paint really ties in well with the stripes and other stainless steel accents in the room. Best of all, it was free and only took an afternoon to complete (not counting the touch-ups I obviously didn’t get around to).
I bought the stainless steel paint at Home Depot. It’s made by Rust Oleum. I think it was about $20 for a quart. The quart goes pretty far if you’re only doing little projects or accent pieces. (well worth the money, in my opinion).
Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you all have a very wonderful weekend!
Friday, 12. April 2013
Welcome to Feature Friday. I have been working on my two youngest boys’ room for the last couple of weeks. I am painting extra-large stripes in their room. One of these extra wide stripes is actually a magnetic board. I wanted them to have a place to display all their art work and school projects.
This stripe of magnetic board is painted on. I used Rust-Oleum’s magnetic paint. I have to be honest, I do not love this product. It was very hard to work with and not very magnetic. I had to apply five coats to get my magnets to stick. The magnetic paint is very thick. It goes on bumpy and streaky. It does say on the can that it is a primer, but I didn’t add a top coat. I was afraid that my magnets wouldn’t stick with a top coat. This paint is oil based and has a very strong smell. I had to leave the windows open for a few days to get rid of the smell.
If I ever do another magnetic board in the future I think I will just have a sheet of metal (steel) cut to size. I would only use this product again for a small project. If you do use this Rust-Oleum magnetic paint, have the paint desk shake it for you. I broke two paint sticks and made a huge mess trying to stir this paint. I think there is real metal bits in it. They settle out and become one large clump.
I am getting close to being done with this room. I hope to have the big reveal by the end of the month. I do have more small projects to share before then.
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Sunday, 16. September 2012
For this week’s “Inspiration” I am continuing to share pictures from the 2012 Salt Lake Parade of Homes DIY Blogger House. This is the dining room designed by blogger Shelley from House of Smiths
I don’t know about you, but I love everything about this room. I love the built-ins. I love the wall treatment. I love the door leading to the wrap around front porch I love the light fixture created by a local company by the name of Politely Blunt Designs.
I hope I have been able to inspire you. As always, I have been inspired to add more projects to my to-do list than I possibly have time to complete.
Wednesday, 12. September 2012
In my last post, I left you wondering which stencil I chose. Was it A – the paisley, B – the trellis, or C – the Victorian damask. I chose D- none of the above. I decided that all three were too busy for the mood I was trying to create in my dining room.
I decided that this room already had enough pattern. I have stripes, checks, plaid damask, and floral. I thought that what it really needed was some texture. So, while it’s no longer the in-thing, I sponge painted. However, I was not happy with my results. I painted over this first attempt (above) and tried it again (below).
In the first photo, I used one color and a single sea sponge to sponge paint on to the wall. In the second photo, I used a split sponge roller. I used two colors (brown and gold) to roll the paint on randomly. I used a rag to rag off some of the paint. This helped blend the roller marks. I know there is not a huge difference in these pictures. I think that may just be the photography. This second photo does show a hint of the gold I used. The second picture has much more depth and shimmer in real life. It was definitely worth the effort to redo the fist one. I have to add that I still like the rusticy, Tuscan look even if it may be outdated. And if there is a moral to this story, it is, follow your heart.